Saturday 10 March 2012

Holy Hides!

Well, this was a very interesting and productive week in the world of drum making!

This week started with a call from John, the very generous drum maker, elder, and member of the Cowichan Tribes in Duncan, who was kind enough to source and prepare a full back deer hide for me. It came from his nephew in Port Alberni, who as access to the hides through his hunting business. He picked it up for me, and prepared it by removing the fat, most of the hair, and curing it for me. But let me just tell you, it was a very interesting experience.

Arriving at his home, my friend Rhiannon and I were greeted by his witty customary prank when strangers arrive at his doorstep, of cracking open the door, eyeing you up and down, and saying "No fish today!" Then laughing, and opening the door with a kind smile, and inviting you into his home without hesitation. It happened just like this the very first time we arrived, unexpected and awkward on his doorstep. He then promptly took us into his kitchen to show us a technique on unfreezing a salmon he was preparing for dinner.

We were then lead into his backyard, and shown to a shed that was constructed of tarps, and surrounded by, well, dismembered parts. The entire interior was lime washed white with the curing concoction and fat from the animal skins, there was a pile of deer hooves; legs still partially attached, just to the left of my feet, and buckets filled with wet hides all over the floor. He then reached, with gloved hands, and certainty into a bucket nearest the door, and pulled out two hides, before handing the third into the black garbage bag that I was holding in my outstretched hands. Let me inform you, the smell was a lot less then I would have expected, considering the circumstances, but it most definitely wasn't pleasant.

It is now triple bagged, and in my freezer until I need it. At that time, which I am a bit nervous for, I will have to rinse it very well, remove the remainder of the hair, and soak it overnight before stretching it over my drums. It's all very exciting, and something I have never done before, so it's going to be a new experience for all of us!

First Hand Built Slump/Hump Mold Drum!


Here it is, almost done, minus a bit of final tweaking around the rim lip 
which I want to bring in a bit. 





I really want to accent the burlap texture on the outside of the drum, so I am pretty sure I am just going to fire is as is and accentuate the shape with a simple black band in our licorice gaze. As I final step, I will seal it with beeswax.

Goat Skin with Hair!



This here is the skin I was lucky enough to find at the Chemainus Thrift Store.
I believe it is a goat skin, and it still has the hair attached!


I may use it to stretch over one of my more decorative drums, and leave the hair intact. 
Although, I'm sure it won't resonate much sound.

I have also seen a technique where after it is stretched, you shave the top part of the drum, and leave the hair around the edge.


Something like these here, but more simple on the tying technique.


Gorgeous! 



I thought I would also post a few pictures of this beauty I am borrowing for inspiration!

This is the first ceramic drum I was ever introduced to, which my friends purchased on our annual trip to the Oregon Country Fair!








Unfortunately, because of an impending critique for the ceramics class I share the room with, it was also a very busy week in the ceramics room, which didn't really give me the time or space to document my progress as thoroughly. So I'll make sure to put up some extra pictures of what I've been up to in next weeks post.

I have been working on my wheel thrown drums, which I am trimming and drying to leather hard at this point. I was also able, with great success to throw two drums all in one piece! The silhouettes are both quite different, and very interesting. It was so quick and easy, I am going to throw a few more this coming week.

I am working on my marble drum, and have scraped away the outside layer of clay to reveal the beautiful marbling below. I then burnished the exterior with a stone, which gives it a luscious and touchable texture. I will finish it with some simple carving once I have attached the bowl to the base.

This coming week I am also going to start work on my udu drums. After talking with Scott, I decided with his suggestion, to use rubber balls as molds for these spherical drums. I have a few ideas on how to do this which include plaster casting the ball in two parts, using it is as a one part hump mold and removing the ball later, or using it as a slump mold in two parts. Experimentation is necessary!

Until next time, cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment